have you ever had roasted red peppers stuffed with goat cheese? so delicious. my faves are from Cafe Madrid here in Dallas. even better if you pair them with the beef tenderloin skewer tapa there! anyway, this is a neat lil recipe combining those flavors adapted from rachel ray.
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed
1 lemon’s zest
1/2 cup roasted red peppers chopped
4TB chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 onion chopped
lots of garlic (..4 TBs i think)
2 cups chicken broth
salt/pepper/sugar to taste
-heat oven to 350
– place chicken breast in a ziplock bag and pound out til about the size of the bag
– in a bowl combine spinach that has been squeezed somewhat dry, goat cheese, zest and salt/pepper. stir til mixed.
– season chicken breast with salt and pepper and place about 3 – 4 TB of teh filling widthwise across the meat. roll up into a cigar shape and pin with a toothpick. roll lightly in some flour and repeat for other breasts.
– heat about 2 TB olive oil in large skillet. cook chicken breasts about 5 min each side or until golden brown.
-remove from heat and place in foil lined cookie sheet. place in oven for about 10 min or until juices run clear.
– while this is cooking, put skillet back on heat and add 2tb olive oil and cook the onions, garlic, thyme and salt for about 5 min.
– add 1 tb flour, cook 1 min.
– add chicken broth and stir..cooking til thicker. you may need to add more flour at some point.
– once sauce is thickened, add roasted red peppers, juice of 1 lemon, pesto, parsley. add sugar to taste to take away some of the tang. and add black pepper if desired.
– to serve, place chicken on plate and pour sauce over top. I servd this with red pepper flake sauteed brocolli and a nice spinach , red bell pepper, and crouton salad. this ginger mandarin dressing was a hit on top of the salad.