I found this delicious recipe on steamykitchen.com and made a few tweaks. It is so succulent and pretty easy. I also cooked 10 lbs of chicken at once b/c Sunday dinner somehow turned into 13 people and i can vouch for the fact that the recipe scales well!
- 10 lbs Chicken with skin on – I used chicken leg quarters that i got for 99cents/lb and separated the drumsticks from the thighs
- olive oil
- curry powder
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 12 cloves garlic
- 3 small yellow mangoes and 3 large red mangoes
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley chopped up
- white wine
1. in a large container, drizzle olive oil over chicken and rub in. Add curry powder, sea salt, black pepper and massage into chicken. Use as much as necessary to get a good coating on all the chicken. no need to skimp! You may need to separate chicken into 2 containers here.
2. Smash and peel garlic cloves
3. In a large pan (iron skillet works very well) heat up olive oil (enough to form a pool in the bottom of pan). Once hot, add a pat of butter. Once butter starts bubbling/foaming, add chicken pieces skin side down until pan is full. (At this point, you can start another pan for the rest of the chicken if you’d like to cook everything at once. I ended up having 3 pans for the 10 lbs of chicken.)
3. Cook for about 10 min on high heat. Lower heat to medium high and add the garlic cloves and cover with a lid. Cook for about 20 min and flip over and cook for another 20 min until no more blood around bones. You can check by cutting into a piece of chicken. Remove from pan, place on platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Pour enough white wine into the pan to cover the bottom + about 1/2 inch of the pan. as everything heats, scrape the cooked on bits and garlic cloves off the pan. Add the mango and parsley. Plus some salt, sugar, and more curry powder til the taste suits you. I added about 1 TB salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 TB curry powder (all guesstimates). let the sauce cook down for about 5 min. When ready, spoon sauce over the chicken and serve.
The chicken is very moist and flavorful and the mango provides a great sweet counterpoint to all the curry flavor. Enjoy!
(the pic above is a variation i made yesterday. Seasoned the chicken with chili powder, garlic salt, pepper; used 2 mangoes and 1 apple and a vidalia onion; sauce made with sake — also very tasty!)