Green beans. I always shudder at the thought of limp, olive green colored, over salted, over cooked green beans. I can’t believe people can actually eat them..out of a can! ack! It seems a travesty to the fresh crunch of green beans when prepared properly!
So check out this lil dish i whipped up. It’s fresh, healthy, and a bit of a different way to have your green beans.
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 block firm tofu cubed
- 1/2 TB dried basil
- 1/2 TB sugar
- 1 TB minced garlic
- garlic salt, pepper
- 1 egg
1. Clean beans and chop off ends and chop in half
2. Heat 1 tb olive oil in a pan til hot. Sprinkle garlic salt/pepper in the pan. Toss in tofu and stir to cook about 5 min.
3. Drain can of tomatoes and add to pan. Add dried basil and sugar. Cook on high til reduced, stirring, about 7-10 min. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Put pan back on heat, add 1 TB olive oil, and minced garlic. Once hot, add green beans, garlic salt and stir to cook. Beans are done when a bright green color – about 5 min. It’s ok if they are a little on the undercooked side.
6. Add the tofu/tomato mix back to pan and cook another 5 min, tossing to combine. Add any extra salt/sugar/pepper to taste.
7. To serve, fry and egg over easy and top a plateful of the green bean dish. MMMMM! There’s the crunchy beans against the soft tofu and tomato; the slight sweet of the tomato against the salty egg. All these flavors play so well together!