This weekend, Colin and I had a dinner date night, so we cooked up this flavorful dish starting from some cute frozen, cooked clams I found at the grocery store the other day. We’ve all had linguine with creamy garlic clam sauce, but I wanted something lighter on the sauce, heartier on the meat content. The final product was a clam, shrimp & italian sausage linguine with a sauce of garlic, white wine, lemongrass, butter, tomato, and parsley. I also added some spice in there to lean towards a “jambalaya” style flavor. MMM! So flavorful and a perfect sauce for dipping crusty bread into.
Ingredients: (4-5 servings)
- 1 lb clams
- 1 can claw crab meat
- 2 large italian sausage links (i used the chicken basil sausage again!)
- 1/4 lb med/large shrimp shelled
- 1/2 large tomato diced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 vidalia onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 inch piece of lemongrass minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt, pepper, red chili flakes
- 1-2 TB butter
- 1 TB dried sweet basil
- 1 package linguine
- Chop everything: Dice the tomatoes and onion; mince the garlic & lemon grass; slice the mushrooms (about 1/4 inch slices); slice the sausage into 1/2 inch pieces, shell the shrimp if needed; chop the parsley
- Heat a large pan (with lid) to med high. Add 1-2 TB butter. Add the 1/2 the garlic and stir to cook til golden (30 sec). Add onion, mushroom, lemongrass, dash salt. Cook til onions are transluscent &/or mushrooms are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage to the same pan and cook 2-3 min to get a good sear on the sausage pieces.
- Once sausage is cooked add wine, chicken broth, dried basil, red pepper flakes, pepper and let the sauce cook down a bit.
- heat up a pot of water to cook the linguine to al dente. When done, drain and toss with olive oil to keep from sticking.
- Heat up a separate pan with 1 tb butter. Add the remaining garlic and quickly add the shrimp & crab to cook about 3 min flipping/stirring. Once just cooked, still translucent, toss everything into the sauce pan and stir. Add more broth, wine if it is getting down too low. Add tomatoes.
- Right before you are ready to eat, add the clams (with any juice) into the pot. Add a handful of chopped parsley. Stir, cover and let cook together about 1 min on high.
Aww yeah, baby!!
Look all te good stuff in there!!
To serve, plate up some linguine. Top with several spoonfuls of the sauce mix. garnish with more chopped parsley and shredded parmesan. Eat this with some wine and good bread for dipping! We had some fresh ciabatta, a yummy chianti, and some steamed broccoli on the side for colin the broccoli monster. YUMMY!!!
Hope you enjoy this meal!