I get so happy when I see good green beans at the grocery store. Smooth, bright green bean pods resting in messy haystacks inside wooden crates. The best ones reward you with a slightly sweet snap against your teeth when you bite into them raw!
I wanted to make a dish the celebrates all my favorite qualities of this veggie: crunchiness and clean, green flavor. The dish is inspired by one my friend Collin W made once with raw green beans that really surprised me with the spicy sweetness of the raw veggie. I opted to go for the quick blanching route, however, because that quick cooking really brings out the green to make an even more beautiful dish. This is a great summer side that works well cool or at room temp to bring to all the pot lucks and back yard bbqs you are getting invited to!
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 4-5 strips lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 TB sesame oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Prep the ingredients:
- Trim the ends off the green beans
- Finely chop up the raw almonds
- Zest the lemon and slice the lemon zest into thin strips
- Mince the garlic
- Prep an ice water bath in a bowl large enough to fit the green beans
- Add 2 cups of water and 1/2 the lemon zest to a pot and heat to boiling and cook the beans for 2 min
- Drain and immediately dunk the beans in the ice water bath to keep from cooking further. Beans should be bright green and very crunchy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, black pepper, and rest of lemon zest to form a dressing
- Place green beans in a large bowl. Pour dressing & chopped almonds over the green beans and toss to distribute.
- Serve cold or at room temp
What are you guys making to bring to your summer time parties?