Ahhhhh SUMMERTIME! Nothing says summer like throwing some grub on the grill and letting the smoke & heat do all the work for you! Lately, the grocery stores have been overflowing with Texas ruby red grapefruits and pineapple, and one of my favorite ways to dress up grilled meats is to get some citrus up in there.
With all that extra fruit lying around, I decided to just try out cutting it all up and making some shrimp & fruit skewers for a little cookout I went to. I knew that the pineapple on the grill would be great, because that grill flavor lays a smooth smokiness on top of the caramelization of the natural sugars in the fruit, but I wasn’t so sure about the grapefruit. Turns out, it was a big win as the grapefruit also caramelized really well and made that tart grapefruit flavor really sing! Now i’m wondering how else I can get grapefruit on the grill!
The mango sauce on the is also a great dipping sauce for any grilled shrimp dish. It’s simple, sweet, and mango anything pretty much tastes awesome on savory meats.
So now for the recipes!
Pineapple & Grapefruit Shrimp Skewers:
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp (E-Z peel is best)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash black pepper
- 2 grapefruit
- 1/2 pineapple
- small handful of cilantro
1. Place the shrimp (with shell on) in a bowl and add juice of one grapefruit, juice & zest of lime, juice & zest of lemon, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
2. Cut up the other grapefruit into big chunks and the finely chop up the cilantro and add to the bowl
3. Stir to distribute and let marinate 30 min – 1 hr
4. While you are waiting, cut up the pineapple into chunks and prep the Mango Sauce (below)
5. Heat the grill medium-hot. Skewer the pineapple, shrimp, and grapefruit and place onto grill. Cook about 10 min on each side. The shrimp shells should get a little black on the edges and the fruit will get nice and brown on the edges.
6. Remove from skewers and serve. Leave the shrimp peeling to your guests if you are a lazy host like me! 😉
- 1 champagne mango
- 6-8 basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
1. Cut up the mango into small chunks
2. Chop up the basil leaves
3. Place mango, basil, and oil in a blender and blend until somewhat smooth
4. Serve alongside shrimp skewers