What do you do when you are hungry and it’s too dang hot out to cook? You make a BIG BAD SALAD! This salad is a Kale salad full of vitamins, flavor, and texture.
Through Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, Newman’s Own sent me lots of goodies recently to do a lil video recipe blog that reflected their fun & irreverant style. So this recipe is inspired by one of their yummy salad dressings.
Did you know Newman’s Own donates all their profits to charity? I had no idea! Pretty freaking cool. Good food & good deeds always go well together!
Anyway, check the video below for some costumed salad making. I’m not sure what bacon ties & devil horns have to do with anything in the meal, but It felt like the fitting outfit for how sizzling HOT it has been here in Dallas!
- 1 head of kale or 1 bag of prewashed & chopped kale
- 1/2 cup Newman’s Own Italian Family Recipe dressing
- 1 cob fresh corn
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pint blueberries
- 4-5 clementines
- 1/4 cup slivered raw almonds (whole almonds chopped is ok too)
1. Slice up the kale into thin ribbons. If using whole kale, cut out the main stem.
2. Add dressing to the kale in a large bowl and massage for 1 minute. Set aside and let it take a nap.
3. Cut the corn off the cob.
4. Slice the cucumber into thin 1/2 circles.
5. Section the clementines (cutting them into pieces w/ no skin or peel)
6. Toss everything but almonds into kale bowl.
7. Dry roast the almonds in a small non-stick pan for about 2 minutes or until the almond smell becomes pronounced and the almonds turn golden brownish.
8. Immediately add the hot almonds to the salad. It may sizzle! woo! Toss it all together and dig in!
(Special thanks to Colin & Mark for shooting & video editing help!)