Do you have a several bins of berries forlornly sitting in your fridge waiting for their time to be delicious? Well, step right up, this recipe will be their chance to dance in the land of YUM and be all the berry they can be!!
Really what happened is that berries and cherries were majorly on sale, and I couldn’t resist the bargain. And now I am leaving town and am desperate to not let the goodness go to waste! Luckily, banana bread is a very flexible and delicious base for nearly any fruit!
I started with this recipe and modified it a bit, including using less sugar and using greek yogurt instead of milk (b/c I had run out of milk!) The result was one of the moistest banana breads I’ve ever made! Not too sweet, but plenty flavorful thanks to all the summer cherries and blueberries I used.
Cherry Berry Banana Bread
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 TB flax seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup cherries (halved)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 TB rolled oats
- Heat oven to 350 and spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray
- Mix flour & baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside
- Cream butter & brown sugar til fluffy
- Add beaten eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt and mix until smoothish and pretty liquidy
- Add mashed bananas and mix
- Add flour/baking soda mixture slowly, stirring constantly to incorporate everything
- Add flax seeds and stir to distribute
- Gently stir in the cherries & blueberries
- Pour mixture into loaf pan
- Top with oats, sliced almonds, and…more flax seeds for fun!
- Pop in the oven for 1 hr 20 min – bread is done when a chopstick in the middle comes out relatively clean (no batter, but you may get some banana)
- Allow to cool at least 15 min before slicing
- Top with a lil butter if you like, or just dive right into the moist, delicious banana bread!