You are hungry. It is cold. You want something comforting. You don’t want to leave the house.
What’s a hungry, lazy person to do?? Make this soup! It’s great for using up those frozen chicken breasts you stashed in the freezer and forgot about, and can be made without leaving the house for more ingredients as long as you have a somewhat well-stocked pantry.
The key ingredients are: Frozen chicken, some form of canned tomato, pre-packaged chicken broth, cumin. Lots of other stuff you can add, but these are the keys.
If you’ve been cooking with me for a while, I’m betting you have a giant thing of cumin in your pantry! It’s a staple for my Turkey Seekh Kebabs and excellent for curries and chilis.
My favorite part is that this recipe doesn’t even require defrosting time. HA! Ultimate laziness win!
- 2 frozen chicken breasts + 2 frozen chicken thighs (both boneless/skinless)
- 2 boxed packages of low sodium chicken broth (totalling 64 oz)
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (you could also use whole peeled and chop them up like I did this time)
- 1 onion
- ½ cup carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 TB cumin
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 TB sugar
- 1 TB dried oregano
- Toppings (tortilla chips, cilantro, lime, avocado, baby spinach, and cheese if you pleeze)
- Dice the onions & carrots. Smash/Peel and slice the garlic.
- Heat up some olive oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic, carrot. Stir and cook about 2-3 min until onions are translucent.
- Pour in the chicken broth and carefully drop in the frozen chicken.
- Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, cayenne powder, salt, sugar.
- Bring to boil and lower to medium low and cook about 30 min.
- Check to ensure chicken is cooked. Remove from pot and shred with two forks. Add back to pot.
- Taste and add more salt/spices as desired.
- Place some chopped spinach in a bowl (for extra nutrients!) and ladle on the soup. Top with some chopped cilantro, diced avocado, and crumbled tortilla chips. Squeeze some lime on it! I skip the cheese, but most people like it!