Yesterday I was reading this post about making oatmeal overnight in the crock pot using a water bath and a lightning bolt of lazy genius hit me!
Not only could I cook oatmeal that way, but I might ALSO be able to have my most favorite food — EGGS — warm and ready the same way with no work in the morning!!!! Holy breakfast genius, Batman!!!
I set up the water bath, oatmeal bowl, and slipped some eggs carefully into the slow cooker.
I then went to bed super excited about the amount of deliciousness that might await me in the morning! I almost always wake up STARVING in the morning, and between showering, trying to get my hair to look professional, and figuring out what to wear, I’m sometimes left flying out the door w/out breakfast b/c I hit snooze too many times or I couldn’t decide which shoes gave me the right super woman power height for the day.
Hours later, I hit the snooze on my phone and snuggle under the covers for a little more shut eye.
Suddenly, I bolt up in bed and yell, “BREAKFAST IS READY!!” Colin nearly falls out of bed. I run downstairs and am greeted by….
Hmm. Is that over-cooked? I add some milk and stir around and it looks much better. Then I peel the eggs and am delighted to find them tender and brown! OOOH!
And so, with no work, I have succeeded in having a nutritious and hot breakfast ready in the morning! YEAH BABIES!
The only thing that would make this better would be if I could kick off breakfast& coffee prep with an app on my phone!
So, ladies & gents, put those slow cookers to work and get your day started off on a healthy note!
- 1 cup oats (steel cut is best, but rolled worked fine for me)
- 2 cups water or milk
- Dash cinnamon (optional)
- A few drops vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ a banana chopped up (optional)
- small handful of raisins/craisins (optional)
- small handful of walnuts (optional)
- 2 TB flax seed (optional)
- 4-5 eggs
- Put oats, water/milk, cinnamon, banana, raisins, walnuts in a bowl that will fit in your slow cooker and stir the combine
- Fill about 2 in of water in your slow cooker pot
- Place the oatmeal bowl in the water and ensure water doesnt come up over edges
- Carefully place eggs in water
- Cover slow cooker with lid and turn on low for 6-8 hrs
- In the morning, carefully lift out the oatmeal bowl and add some milk and stir to desired consistency
- Scoop out the eggs and peel them
- Enjoy a hot, balanced, nutritious breakfast!