Slow cookers are awesome. If you have a job outside the home, make friends with your slow cooker. It does all the work, like an awesome lil sidekick, while you are off saving the world, and ensures that you and your family have something hot and delicious ready when you get home. So go dust off those slow cookers and try out this recipe!!
Chicken tikka masala is one of the most popular dishes in any Indian restaurant for it’s approachability for uninitiated palates. How can anyone say no to that creamy sauce laden with fragrant spices and tender chunks of chicken? It even has a controversial background that spans tales from India to Bangladesh to Britain.
Of course, when cooking at home, I wanted to bring this dish to the healthy side without sacrificing any of the exoticly spiced flavors. Oh, and make sure I can make it in the slow cooker with out too much preparation work. A tall order, perhaps, but thanks to my pal google, I quickly found a series of healthy interpretations.
Below you’ll find the recipe I ended up with that resulted from laziness to do major pre-prep work before going to the slow cooker and only having tomato sauce & paste in the house. It turned out great and I would definitely recommend it for a deceivingly delicious, healthy, weeknight meal. This would go great over rice, veggies, or maybe with some “put a ring on it” naan. 😉
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Recipe type: Main
Easy and delicious recipe to bring some indian flavors to your weeknight
- 2.5 lbs skinless, boneless chicken
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can tomato sauce
- 2 TB tomato paste
- ½ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped + extra for garnish
- 1 TB sugar
- ¼ cup cream/milk
- Cut up your chicken into 1 inch chunks(I used breast this time, but next time I'd do a combination of breast & thigh for juiciness)
- Mix everything EXCEPT the cream/milk in the slow cooker pot
- Place chicken in pot, stir to cover and place in fridge overnight.
- In the morning when you wake up, turn on the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, add the cream/milk and stir to distribute. Taste and add more salt/sugar as desired. Garnish with more chopped cilantro to make it pretty and enjoy!