Sometimes, I see those lobster tails on sale at the grocery store and think to myself…”Oh man, that looks so yummy..but I really shouldn’t! Too decadent! What if I totally mess it up??”
Well, the other day, they were $7.99 each at Whole Foods. The buff seafood guy with the crazy beard and camo shirt assured me they were delicious, and nothing engenders foodie trust in my heart like a camo wearing man at a fancy grocery store! I wonder what he thinks about all day, watching hot moms in yoga pants, or, more likely, sweaty, post-yoga-haired thirty-somethings with that wild “I’m starving” look in their eyes. I glance in my own cart and see 2 blocks of cheese, a bundle of basil, and 3 bottles of wine. I silently judge myself.
But I digress. If you too find yourself facing the dilemma of to lobster or not to lobster, I can heartily say…LOBSTER!
This method for cooking lobster is so fast, easy, fool-proof…and most importantly DELICIOUS. Broiling gives you that nice browning on the meat that you just won’t get with steaming/boiling.
They key part to making it super extra FANCY is to cut the shell and pull the meat out on top to give it maximum broiler exposure. Try not to cut yourself while doing this. Drinking may or may not help at times like this.
Also, clarified butter. It is your friend. Not your hips’ friends, but more like that awesome girlfriend you know you can call to kill several bottles of wine on a friday night over rom coms & ice cream. The next day, you feel like hell, but don’t regret a minute of it! In any case, make a bunch and keep it in the fridge for days when you decide LOBSTER!!! or really any day you feel like you need a lil extra sumthin’ sumthin’ in your food. I took my clarified butter & swirled in some white pepper & paprika for extra pizazz.
And so, go forth and lobster, my friends. You won’t be sorry!
- 1-2 lobster tails
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lemon
- Place butter in a pot on low and let it melt down. Scoop out the white solids that float to the top. Set aside about half of it and mix in white pepper & paprika. Put away the rest.
- While butter is melting, heat oven to Broil.
- Line a pan with foil and place the lobster tails on top.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the shell right down the middle. Use your fingers to carefully pull the meat out and rest on top of the shell.
- Spoon or brush the seasoned butter on top of the meat.
- Place pan in oven for 6-10 minutes, or until the meat is opaque and slightly browning on the edges.
- Remove from heat, squeeze some lemon on top and serve with more lemon wedges and more butter. 🙂