I saw this lovely looking recipe in my Bon Appetit magazine and decided to make it for a dinner party last week. I used the yogurt marinade on lamb and chicken and it worked really well in bothcases.
Also, my husband was too busy making delicious cocktails for our guests, so instead of grilling the meat, we threw it in the oven and it worked out great! Definitely recommend this recipe for easy dinner party hosting b/c you can prep the marinade the night before and just let the oven do all the work while you spend time with your guests.
I modified the recipe for roasting instead of grilling.
- Tabil Spice Blend:
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1½ tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups whole-milk yogurt, divided
- 1 teaspoon plus 3½ tablespoons Tabil Spice Blend
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 4-5 pound butterflied leg of lamb, opened like a book
- 4 lemons, halved
- Prep the Tabil Spice blend by processing everything in your food processor or spice blender
- Mince the garlic
- Mix 1 cup yogurt + 1 tsp spice blend + 1 minced garlic clove and set aside. This is your yogurt sauce.
- Whisk 1 cup yogurt, 3.5 TB spice blend, 4 minced garlic cloves, salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice.
- Stab the lamb all over with the point of a sharp knife. Cover with the yogurt marinade and turn to coat. Cover and chill overnight.
- Take out of fridge 30 min before cooking.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Shake off excess marinade and place meat on foil lined baking sheet. Season with salt & pepper. Insert a meat thermometer and roast for 20 min.
- Reduce heat to 400.
- Continue cooking for another 15-25 min depending on desired donenness, checking the thermometer.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes. Slice across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve with yogurt sauce & lemons.
Would go great with Kale Salad or this Greek Watermelon Salad!