My friend Irma is Indonesian and her husband Anthony is Greek. She is an amazing cook and dynamic character full of good stories and good food.
I went to her house a few weeks back to learn how to make Greek food through Athena Hour – a women’s networking event I started this year focused on skill sharing, community building, and general good times with wine & food.
Irma made this amazing watermelon salad (that Anthony actually came up with) as one of the dishes and as soon as I tasted it, all I could think was…Tastes Like SUMMER! It is such an easy dish to throw together for your summer bbqs, picnics, potlucks. A sure crowd pleaser that is fresh and light to nicely complement all the grilled meats and cheesy dips that abound at these events.
- ½ watermelon
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 large or 4 small green onion stalks
- 10-15 mint stems
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1.5 cups of feta
- Black pepper
- 4-6 TB good olive oil
- Cut the watermelon into 1 inch cubes (de-seed if necessary) & place in a large bowl
- Cut the tomatoes in 8ths or slightly smaller chunks than the watermelon
- Cut the cucumbers in ¾ inch chunks
- Cut the yellow bell pepper in ¾ inch chunks
- Cut the green onion in ½-3/4 inch pieces
- Pick off the mint leaves and mince
- Put everything in the large bowl, and add the crumbled feta, black pepper, olive oil and toss to combine.
- Taste and add more feta/pepper/olive oil as desired.
- Chill until serving time.