It’s Monday. You just peeled yourself out of bed after hitting snooze too many times. Squinting in the mirror as the light of day laser beams into your eye, you contemplate the rat’s nest on your head, calculate that the 15 mins it will take to dry your hair is just too long today. Guess it’s a pony tail day. Again. Praise the gods that invented dry shampoo for Mondays like this. Quickly shower and find something presentable to wear to work and proceed to launch yourself out the door when…
(cue heavenly music)
Your eyes spot a freshly baked coffee cake sitting on the counter under a beam of now angelic morning light.
YES! Breakfast is served! A sugar rush to properly propel you into this day! Sure, it’s no protein packed power breakfast, but beggers can’t be choosers, now can we? You thank your Sunday self for thinking ahead and making this delicious, moist, fruit filled treat to provide you SOME sustenance as you run out the door late after a night watching just one more episode of Orange is The New Black. While drinking wine and eating popcorn.
Don’t judge me.
Make this coffee cake tonight. Your Monday morning self will thank you tomorrow.
- 8 oz strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1 TB cold water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1.5 TB sugar
- 2.5 TB chilled butter
- 1.5 TB brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning or cinnamon
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 TB butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dice strawberries
- In a small saucepan, whisk ¼ cup sugar, cornstarch, cold water, lemon juice
- Add strawberries and bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute, stirring
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Dice cold butter
- Add flour, sugar, butter into food processor and pulse to combine
- Stir in brown sugar & pumpkin pie seasoning/cinnamon & set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk 1¾ cup flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt and set aside
- Using electric mixer, whip softened butter & 1 cup sugar until fluffy, about 4 min
- Add egg, vanilla and whip another minute
- Mix in yogurt
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk and mix until just combined
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish (I used a glass one)
- Pour ½ of cake batter in dish and spread evenly
- Spread strawberry mixture gently in a layer on top of batter
- Drop spoonfulls of batter over strawberry layer and gently spread over top
- Sprinkle crumb topping over everything
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
This recipe should work well with any fruit you have around the house! Yum!
Recipe based on this one from Cooking Classy!