I never thought I’d say this, but burrata is the sexiest cheese I’ve ever eaten.
The soft but firm mozzarella wrapped tightly around the luscious melange of cream and mozzarella to form smooth rounded mounds brings to mind taut fleshy thighs pressing together. Unh!
The first time I had it was in New York at an italian restaurant. I can’t even remember where now, but I remember the shock of cool, creamy texture that hit my tastebuds and hugged my tongue as the sharp bite of arugula came in for the kill at the end. It was love at first bite, indeed!
This summer, I went to a dinner party and one of my friends brought a beautiful dish of watermelon & burrata to share and I fell in love all over again. This dish tastes like summer and in the waning days of this season, hurry to get some watermelon to make this simple, but stunning dish and properly kiss your summer love goodbye!
You can get burrata at nicer grocery stores these days. In Dallas, you can get it at Whole Foods or our very own Dallas Mozzarella Company!
- 1 burrata
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 handful fresh basil
- olive oil
- Cut a ½ inch slice across the diameter of the watermelon and then use a small bowl as a template to cut out a circle of watermelon and place on your plate.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Chiffonade the basil and place some on the watermelon.
- Cut the burrata in half and place on top of watermelon.
- Season with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and top with basil.
- Repeat to make another salad with the other half of the burrata.
- Serve immediately!