This year is my 2nd year participating The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap to raise money for Cookies For Kids’ Cancer. It’s fun, you get cookies, you help kids. Really a win, win, win situation for everyone! This year, all the bloggers and the corporate sponsors raised $13,778.40! Awesome!!
When thinking about what cookies I wanted to make, being a rather infrequent baker, I started the way I do in planning my meals: What flavors am I currently obsessed with?
The answer was easy: Ginger for days and caramel, of course. Sounds like some awesome band names. I settled on a caramel stuffed gingersnap to combine some of my favorite flavors.
I also got delicious cookies from three other bloggers:
- Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen - Chocolate Coconut Espresso
- Julie (no blog info..) – Oatmeal chocolate peanutbutter
- Home Cooking Memories – Tropical White Chocolate Chip
Check below for the recipe, which I got from Little Dairy On the Prarie and just barely modified.
- 1 c. butter
- ½ c. shortening
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. molasses
- 4 c. flour
- ½ t. salt
- 2 t. soda
- 2 t. cloves
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 2 t. ginger
- Extra white sugar for dipping cookies in
- Approximately 36 caramel candies
- Put shortening, butter and sugars into mixer and whip until fluffy (3-5 min)
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add molasses and mix.
- Add flour, soda, salt, cloves, ginger and cinnamon to sifter. Sift into creamed mixture. Mix until combined.
- Spoon out about 1½ Tablespoons of dough and flatten into a circle.
- Place caramel in the middle and wrap dough around. Roll in your hands to form a ball.
- Dip tops of cookies in white sugar.
- Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Best served warm from oven or warmed up for 5 seconds in the microwave.