This dish is all about the unadorned, un-adulterated taste of great chicken, so it’s very important to pick a high quality, preferably free-range chicken. Free range chicken meat tends to be a bit firmer and leaner than the regular chickens you get at your grocery store, and this is what you are looking for in this dish.
My favorite part about this dish is that you get a soup and super flavorful rice made from the chicken as well. And we all know how much I am obsessed with soup. And rice.
The other fun thing about this dish is you get to give your chicken a spa treatment! Seriously! To clean the chicken, you give it a salt rub. Then you put in a hot tub with aromatherapy. Then a quick ice bath, and then you rub it down with sesame oil. Sounds like an awesome spa day to me!
I hope you enjoy this simple dish!
- 1 3-4 lb free range chicken
- 1 cup of kosher salt for rubbing
- ⅛ cup kosher salt for seasoning
- 3-4 inch ginger
- 2-3 green onion stalks
- 5-6 cliantro stems
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 2 cups rice soaked in cold water for at least 10 min
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 TB sambal olek chili paste (sriracha is ok)
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 TB sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 cups Poaching liquid
- 1 TB fish sauce
- 1.5 cups chopped greens (napa cabbage, spinach, kale)
- Slice 3 inch ginger into coins and chop green onions into 2 inc sections
- Rub down the chicken with salt. Rinse. Then season with salt again.
- Stuff ginger, onions, clinatro in cavity.
- Place chicken in a large stock pot and cover with water 1 inch over the chicken.
- Heat up to boiling then lower to simmer. Skim any gunk. Simmer for 30 min or until you poke the breast and juice runs clear.
- Which chicken is cooking, prepare an ice bath and mince the garlic & ginger for the rice. Soak the rice.
- Once chicken is done, carefully lift out of broth and into ice bath. I use big tongs for this. Be careful to not get hot broth on yourself!
- In a medium sized pot, heat up oil and cook the minced garlic & ginger for about 2-3 minutes until very fragrant. Drain the rice and add to pot, stirring to cook about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth and bring to boil. Lower heat and cover, cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the dipping sauce. Add all ingredients and stir together. Add more fish sauce or sugar as desired.
- For the soup, take another pot and add 6 cups of the reserved broth. Add fish sauce and chopped up greens. Cook til greens are just wilted, about 2 min. Serve with black pepper on top.